Tales From The Camping House

Tales From The Camping House

Monday, June 3, 2013

Photographing With Ansel Adams

We spent the weekend outside the park. The crowds are larger on the weekend, so we did the regular chores that need to be done.

We signed up for a photography class at The Ansel Adams Gallery this afternoon. We hadn't planned on it, but after the rave reviews Rudy and Debbie gave it, we decided we'd do it.

Jim uses a Nikon DSLR and I have a Canon point and shoot (thanks Susan A.!) The class goes over digital photography fundamentals.


Ansel Adams would come to Yosemite often. While in Yosemite, he had frequent contact with the Best family, owners of Best's Studio, who allowed him to practice on their old square piano. He later married their daughter in the studio. and The family still owns the house in which the gallery is located.


Who wouldn't want to take a photography lesson here! Kirk, our instructor, was wonderful.


We learned how to read the histogram on our cameras, how to correct a picture that is underexposed or overexposed, and how to compose a picture.


This was my attempt of speeding my shutter size. This Columbine was blowing in the wind.


We were on to our next lesson. Kirk led our group of 5 to different parts of Buck's Field where he taught us about our cameras. I had no idea my camera had so many functions.


Here's my Ansel Adams attempt.


We also tried catching the Upper Yosemite Falls in action by speeding up our shudder speed.



The class was a wonderful experience. We both learned so much in the four hours of instruction. Now, we have to get out there and practice. :)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful class!

    Maybe you can teach me some of that stuff for my camera since it's the same one!

    Beautiful photo of the columbine. What setting do you use to get such a clear close up? I use the hit and miss method. Sometimes I have my camera on a setting that lets me get a sharply focused close up...other times I only get out-of-focus close ups. Haven't figured out what to set to make it clear on the close ups.

    ReplyDelete