Tales From The Camping House

Tales From The Camping House

Thursday, April 4, 2013

And We're Off!

I decided I had gotten so far behind with events that happened this last month, I would just start with now.  We spent the last few weeks saying so long to our friends and family.  Those are always so hard, but we know we will be back in a few months.

Our plans were to leave Tuesday after Easter, but we just didn't get everything done, then we were going to leave Wednesday and bad weather rolled into the area with winds, rain and hail.  We decided to stay one more day.

So, today, we were off!

Our first stop is Seminole Canyon State Park just past Comstock, Texas on Hwy 90.  We had a great noneventful drive, but it was a long one (245 miles).  We got to the park about 4, checked in and went to our site.  It's pretty desolate out here.  There's probably about 10 sites taken.



Jim had some things to do in the rig, so I took a walk to check out the park.



There is a hiking trail not too far from the campsites, so I walked down there to check it out.  On the way, I snapped this cactus beginning to bloom.






I headed out on the trail spotting a little rabbit that was too quick for me to catch a picture as well as a lizard.  I got about a half mile down the road, then remembered this was where we saw the border patrol the last time we were here.  I decided I didn't want to take a chance in running into anyone so I turned back around.



Mexico is just on the other side where the hills are.



Tomorrow, we have a little over 200 miles to get to Big Bend.  This is the first time either of us have ever been which seems strange since we have lived in Texas pretty much all our lives, so we're looking forward to exploring a new place!





2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your adventures in Big Bend as I have never been there either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo happy to see you writing your blog again. We miss you already!

    Have a great time in Big Bend. You should have warm but beautiful weather.

    You're giving me hitch itch bad!

    ReplyDelete