Tales From The Camping House

Tales From The Camping House

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Geyser Basin Walk Yellowstone National Park

We got up early, at least early for us, 6:00 a.m., in order to get to the west gate of Yellowstone early.  We left a little after 7 and arrived at the gate at 7:30 and were able to drive right in with no waiting.  Our plan for today was to visit the Geyser Basin by the Old Faithful Inn.

We got to the Visitor's Center at 8:20 and parked right by the visitor's center, I guess everyone else slept in today.  We found out Old Faithful would be erupting in about 20 minutes so we headed out there to watch.  We waited about 15 minutes and then it began bubbling and water spurted out.

It was a cool 48 degrees so there was a lot of steam making it hard to see the water spout.

After Old Faithful, we walked down the path passing Old Faithful Inn.
 Our next stop would be Daisy Geyser which was scheduled to erupt at 9:45.  We sat and waited with others and it finally spouted off about 10:00.  We never tire of watching these geysers.  It's just so remarkable to see.

After Daisy Geyser, we headed down the path and caught the Grotto Geyser erupting.

We continued on to view Morning Glory Pool.  It was beautiful.

 After spending some time at the Morning Glory Pool, we continued on the unpaved path over to the Biscuit Basin.  As we climbed the hill, we were overlooking the geyser basin.

As we continued on the trail, we passed beautiful blue pools.  We saw very few people once we got off the beaten track.

Once we arrived at the Biscuit Basin, we walked along the boardwalk looking at the sights there.

This is Jewel Geyser.

 Next was Shell Spring.

This was Mustard Spring.

After walking around the Biscuit Basin, we headed back toward Old Faithful passing more beautiful blue pools of hot water.

We arrived at the Riverside Geyser about 12:20 and it was scheduled to erupt at 12:55.  Luckily, we found a shaded bench to wait.  It began its show a little after one.  This geyser lasts about 20 minutes
and was also spectacular.

We arrived back at the visitor's center about 2:00, the crowds had gathered, the place had people everywhere.  We found out where the picnic area was and took our lunch over there.  We were starving.  We had walked a little over 6 miles and were ready to sit down.

After lunch, we decided to head home.  The crowds were so dense, it was just too hard to do anything there.  We got home about 4, tired, but still in awe of the beautiful things we saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment