Tales From The Camping House

Tales From The Camping House

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Time To Catch Up

It's been a l-o-n-g time since I posted, but a lot has happened in the last two months and now it's time to catch up.  After we left Albuquerque, we headed back to Texas arriving at Pecan Park in San Marcos on October 25.  We were ready to settle down for awhile and enjoy catching up with friends and family.  We had also planned a cruise with my parents, brother and sister-in-law the week before Thanksgiving and I was also going to New York City with my daughter and granddaughter the week after Thanksgiving.

Our little world took quite a spin on Halloween morning.  It had rained quite a bit the night before, about 12 inches in a little town called Wimberly which was about 20 miles from us.  At 7:30 in the morning, we got a knock on our door.  When I opened it, the water was at the first step at our door.  We quickly got dressed, grabbed our dogs and computer equipment and got in the truck.  My car was parked in front of the fifth wheel and the water had already reached inside it.  We got the truck out and parked it on higher ground by the clubhouse.  We waded back in to the trailer to see if we might retrieve some things from the car and realized it was too late to get the car out.  Jim helped our neighbors next door get out.  We then proceeded to stand at the higher ground and watch the water rise.

The picture above was taken at the high point of the flood.  That's my silver car submerged.

It took about 4 hours for the water to crest and then recede enough for us to go back and check on things.  We were hoping that it had not gone inside.

Unfortunately, it had.  What a mess!

The water had gone in through the door, slides and basement.

 Our insurance company quickly totaled the rig and sent us a check for a replacement.  We also maxed out our personal effects coverage which made us rethink the amount for our next rig.  I have to admit there was a short time I was thinking this was it, I didn't want to do this anymore.  Luckily, our kids live in Austin, so we stayed with them while we looked for a replacement.  It took us three days to get everything cleared out of the flooded rv (who would have ever thought it would take that long) and we would never have finished it the last day if our friends, Bob and Susan had not come to help us.

We were lucky to quickly find a new to us Mobile Suites to replace our Select Suites.  It had been tenderly loved and was in immaculate condition.

We bought it and had a week to get moved into it before we left on our cruise.

Then, it was Thanksgiving.

Then, I went to New York.

Then, it was Christmas.

We continued to settle into our new rig and catch up with friends and family.

Like I said, it's been a very busy two months.

Then, on December 28, we took off again heading to Florida.  I'm going to go back and fill in the gaps mainly so we can go back later to see what we have done.

It's time now to continue forward and enjoy the sights and new friends along the way!